Wednesday 7 October 2020

Are blogs still popular?

 A few years ago, I started to blog.  I thought it would be like a diary or journal.   I was never a great diary writer,  as private as journals can be, putting my thoughts and experiences on paper seemed not very private  (too many movies where the secret diary is found!!)  The difference with blog writing is it can be very generalised and writing about anything other than personal secrets gives you a wide scope of topics and freedom to write - if you want to.

I actually liked writing the blog posts and I guess I had a few followers who looked me up.  I did not get many comments.  Other bloggers offer free give aways or competitions to increase interest, but I am too shy for all that. I am not competative and heaven forbid I get a negative comment.  I would fall apart.  And as much as I read others instagram and facebook, I cannot bring myself to comment on their posts.  So I feel a little bit invisible.

Sadly I have been distracted by life happenings and just feeling it's all a bit pointless, being invisible and all.  All this is hard for me because as much as I have boys that are tech savvy, they are certainly not like some of the gen x or y or whatever it is.  They just have insta and facebook, they don't have youtube sites and are too busy being parents to my granddaugters to care about social media.  Which is kind of a good thing I guess, but I am clueless as to how to manouvre the social network, for the sake of my little Etsy shop.

 So should I be posting on Facebook?  Instagram is good , but again sometimes I hesitate to put up pics that might not be good or interesting enough.

I am selling from my etsy site, and I would like it to be my job now.  At my age, I am ready to just spend my days sewing and selling what I make.  I don't want mega bucks.  I just want some sales and income to maintain the basic necessities - hairdresser, skincare, luches with friends - once COVID settles down.

At the moment, the old fashioned in me is selling my wares at the local craft market, and it is addictive.  Make things, put them on a table at the market, sell them to lovely people and go home to make more.  Thing is, the more I sell, the more I need to make so it is getting hard to keep up!  



No comments:

Post a Comment