Wednesday 13 May 2020

The cat controvesy



So I am always inspired and challenged by the things I see online.  This year my goal is to finally sell a doll from my Etsy shop.  I did a course and was so inspired I opened a 2nd shop for waldorf style dolls.  But I wanted to sell my unsold cloth dolls that I had taken to market.  
Now, cloth dolls and rag dolls have a basic structure -  body legs, arms and a head.  
If it's an amimal it can be a little exagerrated.  
I really like this look for a cloth doll type cat.  
Problem is I was 'inspired' by pics I saw online.  I understand copyright and I don't want to steal anothers work.  
Thing is, I totally had to design this doll and create the pattern.  Limbs, tail, body , head size, ears, dimensions, height.  
So, when I uploaded to Etsy I was shocked to see they delisted it! 
At first I was confused and upset.  There was no explanation except that they were checking their policies!  
But the good news is they reinstated my listing without any notice.  I have to assume they were checking the design.  I will not make any more of these cats, purely for the fact I don't want to be stepping on anyones toes and I have had the challenge of making it.  Did I do something wrong?
See my etsy shop

No comments:

Post a Comment